Jul 3, 2014

30 Day Photo Challenge - Day 11:CHILDHOOD MEMORY

Photo by Deb Rohne
It didn't take me long to unearth the physical proof I needed for two of my favorite childhood memories.  Good thing I never throw anything away!

My blonde Barbie dolls were more than happy to accommodate me by posing with a stack of my 45's for this photo challenge.

Just for the record, I took the pictures with my iPhone and then used the Picfx app to layer the desired special effects for an appropriate vintage look.

Malibu Francie and Skipper, circa 1971, have held up pretty well considering the various excursions they had to endure.  From nightly baths to afternoons in our inflatable backyard kiddie pool, they became excellent swimmers.  Despite their "noisy surf" name, they provided hours of entertainment that didn't include water and beach play as well.  My friend, Gail, had beautiful equestrian accessories for her Barbie's while I made do with shoe boxes for my mode of transportation...until one Christmas when I was gifted with a Barbie camping outfit complete with a sporty 3-wheeler...then my girls were ridin' in style!  PJ, Ken, and a host of other celebrity dolls rounded out the plastic vinyl family for numerous adventures and activities.

Photo by Deb Rohne
Speaking of vinyl, I am actually grateful I grew up in the era of turntables and record players.  To witness the transformation from records to digital music makes me truly appreciate the rapidly advancing technology.

I can recall various fun facts with my records like the time my single of "Paper Roses" by Marie Osmond cracked through and through from the label to the outer edge...I could still play it without hearing a skip by making sure the cracked area was perfectly flat and taping a quarter to the needle arm.

This one time, I totally stepped outside the box when I listened to the "B" side of all my 45's!

And wild and crazy girl that I am, I replaced my white lite bulb with a red lite bulb one Halloween, and stuck a plastic spider in the center of my record player while listening to "Fire" by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown (which was on the "B" side of Coven's "One Tin Soldier.")

Ahhh, childhood memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment