Jul 30, 2014

Blazing Star State Trail Bike Ride

Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.
With temps in the upper 70's, a slight breeze, and beautiful skies, yesterday was a perfect day to ride the Blazing Star State Trail in Albert Lea, Minnesota.

Just after crossing underneath Interstate 35, the trail enters the Myre Big Island State Park.  Lush, green rural landscapes punctuated by colorful wildflowers make this a scenic ride.

We rode the trail all the way into the park until it turned to gravel.  I'm sorry to report, unlike the Root River Trail, this trail is not well maintained.  The deep crevices, holes, ruts, and cracks nearly shook my Catrike Expedition apart.

By the time we saw the "Steep Grade Ahead" sign, it was too late to take a picture or to turn around. Cruising down at full speed, I only briefly thought about the fact that I would eventually have to pedal back up that hill!

Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.
Fortunately, 9.55 miles later, I had conquered the challenge and could say I did it!