Jul 1, 2014

30 Day Photo Challenge - Day 9:SILHOUETTE

Photo by Deb Rohne

Photo by Deb Rohne
 sil~hou~ette
Defined as a dark shape and outline of someone or something visible against a lighter background, especially in dim light.

Before going out on my photo assignment for today, I did an image search for silhouettes.  I found some breathtaking photos--most of which were obviously manipulated for the desired effect.

I have mixed emotions about current technology and all that can be done to raw images using Photoshop and other photo editing tools.  It seems like cheating somehow...like ANYONE can be a photographer!

However, I have been guilty on several occasions lately of utilizing the features to enhance the color or change the contrast since it is so readily available.

That being said, I was rather pleased with myself that the cemetery pictures I took last night were not retouched at all--I just couldn't decide whether I preferred the black and white or the color version. The sun was just right in the sky to produce the long shadows and give the silhouetted effect I was looking for with the headstones.  On a side note, this image was taken through the car window as the mosquitoes were so thick that I decided not to get out and risk losing a pint of blood.

The solar sun light in my meditation garden provided a striking silhouette against the bright sky yesterday; and the abundance of farms and flatland where I live, allowed a perfect opportunity to photograph the silhouetted silo during the evening sunset last night.

The last two silhouette sunset images are a couple of my favorites that I pulled from my personal stock of images and, I admit, were manipulated slightly to enhance the color and contrast.
Photo by Deb Rohne

Photo by Deb Rohne

Photo by Deb Rohne

Photo by Deb Rohne