Jul 21, 2014

30 Day Photo Challenge - Day 29:DAILY ROUTINE

Like a beacon in the wee hours of the morning light, my cell phone illuminates and beckons to me.

Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.As I was pondering my daily routine, I unfortunately was faced with the harsh reality that looking at my smartphone consumes a large part of my day...and I'm now feeling like that's not so smart after all.

The first hour of my day is spent looking at my phone.  As I lay in bed stretching and waking up to greet the day, I look at the weather, emails, and catch up on Facebook posts.  I have two local newspaper apps and one app from my hometown paper that I view to see if any headlines or obituaries catch my eye. Additionally, I check four different TV news station websites for other possible stories of interest.

There are two different word games I play with friends that I get alerts for when it is my turn to play.

Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.The YouVersion app is my daily devotional.  The Plans and Verse of the Day get me in the Word and hopefully help me get in the right frame of mind before my feet hit the floor.

I'm sorry to say Candy Crush is back on my phone.  I had deleted it several months ago and appreciated all the extra time I had during the day, but I'm once again playing the highly addictive game.

Being extra mindful of my routine today, I discovered that even when I get out of bed, there is not much time throughout the day that I don't keep checking and looking at my phone...consequently it doesn't stay charged long.

This challenge may not have been much for a photo op, but it has made me reflect on how much time I actually spend with my phone, and perhaps has challenged me to put the phone down and look for other activities.

Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.