Dec 14, 2014

Countdown to Christmas - Photo Challenge - Day 14:GIFT

Mom left a special gift for me this Christmas.  It was full of the love and special remembrances that could only come from my Angel Mama's thoughtfulness.  

Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.

A couple days ago, I had gone to her house with a specific list of items I wanted to take back home with me.  I was in her master bedroom closet and noticed a gold box.  I lifted it from its spot on top of a cardboard box full of old photographs.  I'm not sure what compelled me to open it as I didn't remember what was in it, and it certainly didn't contain any of the things I had come to collect.

As I lifted the lid and unfolded the festive green tissue paper from around the contents inside, my breath caught in my chest.

Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.

Three unrelated but very meaningful Christmas ornaments were tucked inside...a purple butterfly, a tray of coffee, and a small box tied with a ribbon that had a poem attached.  Of course, my purple butterfly was Mom's way of saying she is okay, and the tray of coffee ornament had special meaning as Mom and I loved to enjoy lattes together.

Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.



But the note on the little gift box ornament brought me to my knees and reduced me to the all-too-familiar mixture of tears--tears of joy that Mom is still reaching out to me and showing me she is doing well, and tears of sadness because I miss her compassionate smile and her understanding eyes so very much.

Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.

The poem reads as follows:

This is a very special gift
That you can never see.
The reason it's so special is
It's just for you from me.

Whenever you are lonely
Or even feeling blue,
You only have to hold this gift
And know I think of you.

You never can unwrap it.
Please leave the ribbon tied.
Just hold the box close to your heart
It's filled with love inside.


For the last several years, I have had to do all of Mom's shopping for Christmas.  I have always known what she was giving me, but I would wrap it up anyway so I would have something to open from her on Christmas morning.  

This year, Mom surprised ME!  Not only did she surprise me, but I could not have chosen a better gift had I done the shopping myself.

Thanks, Angel Mama!!

Love you to the Moon and Back!

2 comments: