Dec 7, 2014

Countdown to Christmas - Photo Challenge - Day 7:TREE

O Tannenbaum...

I have seven trees up and decorated in my house this year.  I've always wanted a tree in every room. About 15 years ago, I went on my first "tour of homes for the holidays" with my mother-in-law and sisters-in-law, and one of the homes had a Christmas tree in every room of the house.  Ever since then, I've thought about that and how wonderful it would be to experience that magic all over the house.  Well, this year, the magic is taking shape...the shape of many trees.

I inherited three of Mom's trees as well as receiving a little decorated tree as part of the floral tributes for Mom's visitation and funeral.  I'm also utilizing a "tree" made and given to me by a friend several years ago.  One of the seven trees (not pictured) is a Charlie Brown tree (but I'm counting it as it is a tree after all).

We used to go to a tree farm every year and chop down that perfect real tree.  But I'm actually okay with decorating artificial trees now...I don't have to remember to water it everyday, there is no mess of sticky needles that the vacuum is never able to pick up, and I don't have to feel bad throwing away a live tree that I purposely cut down just to be used for a month and then discarded like the trash. Truth is, I just liked the real trees for the smell, and today's real trees seem to be void of that piney fragrance anyway.


Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.
7' Pre-lit artificial with decorations from the local florist


Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.
3-1/2' white, pre-lit artificial decorated with White House ornaments


Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.
Clockwise from top left:  tomato cage tree I made for Mom ten years ago when she stopped setting up her put-together artificial tree; 2' blue and silver garland tabletop tree; 4' 2x4 tree my friend gave me several years ago decorated with our "name" balls; and the 3' tabletop tree from Charles the Elf which was at the funeral home with the rest of the flowers for Mom's visitation. 
Yesterday, my kids and I attended a festival of trees in Clear Lake, Iowa.  Over 100 trees of all sizes were decorated for viewing and for selling.  It was my first festival of trees event, and I will definitely attend again.  So much inspiration and ideas for tree decorating in one room!  I think my favorite was the "toy" tree.  With a garland made out of Tinkertoys, the ornaments included vintage Fisher-Price toys and a Woody hat for the tree topper!

If I start adding a new tree every year, eventually, I will be able to have my own Festival of Trees event!

No comments:

Post a Comment