Dec 25, 2014

Countdown to Christmas - Photo Challenge - Day 25:CHRISTMAS

My First Christmas...

       My first Christmas since MY first Christmas without my mom.

              My first Christmas in a very long time just staying home the entire day.

                       My first Christmas EVER waking up with a migraine.

Indeed it was a Christmas filled with firsts.  The night before Christmas, my hubby and I and the kids sat together in the glow of candlelight singing carols a capella and listening to my son recite "'Twas the Night Before Christmas."

Santa finally filled the stockings about 5:30 a.m., but the opening of gifts didn't commence for another five hours.
Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.

Just before the gift giving, I was in the kitchen for a cup of coffee when I noticed a light shining on the wall illuminating all the Willow Tree Angels my mom has given me the last few years which I have hanging above the light switch.  I stood and stared for a moment trying to figure out where the light was coming from.  I finally deduced that the sun was hitting a sparkly piece of the tree garland just at the right place to bounce the reflection into the room onto the angels.  A little angel love from my mama first thing Christmas morning was just what I needed.
Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.

The kids had had a great time selecting gifts and wrapping them, and my son even orchestrated a fun treasure hunt for the gift he had picked out for his sister.  It was a wonderful morning of fun surprises and relaxed joy.

For breakfast we had scones, eggnog, and bacon.  The eggnog was especially good, and we finished up the gathering at the table with a Christmas Tree mad lib, some games, and cutting out snowflakes. Santa had brought the game of Tenzi, and we enjoyed several frenzied rounds before individually (but together) dispersing to catch up on Facebook posts and do some quiet reading.
Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.


Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.

An amazing sunset illuminated the angel solar light in my backyard reminding me once more that mom will continue to remain in my thoughts and in my heart.
Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.

Supper was a collaborative effort of a cornbread stuffed Turducken, green bean casserole, party potatoes, lemon lime jello salad, and mini crescent rolls by candlelight.
Photo by Deb Rohne.  Copyright 2014.  All Rights Reserved.

Some TV watching and relaxing ended our first Christmas together of making new memories and remembering treasured times from years past.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment