Nov 28, 2015

30 Days of Thankfulness - Day 28: Gift

"In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" Acts 20:35

I remember the first time I had a job--other than babysitting. I was 14, and the job (if you can call it that) was scooping ice cream at Baskin-Robbins in the mall. It was only part-time work, but when I opened that first paycheck for over $80, I was giddy, and began planning how I would spend it.

Surprisingly, the thing I wanted to do most was buy gifts for my family. I was so proud that I could take my own money and pick out Christmas presents that I would wrap myself and watch excitedly on Christmas morning as my mom, dad, and sister opened them. It definitely was just as good if not better than opening my own gifts that morning.

I always enjoyed watching my mom open gifts as her reaction was just so great. Whether she needed, wanted, or already had three of the same item, she would oooh and aaawww over the gift as if it was the best present in the world. My daughter has picked up the same lovely characteristic. I have tried to be that enthusiastic when opening gifts, but the level of enthusiasm is definitely forced on that third pair of slipper socks--"one size fits all."


I am thankful for gift-giving opportunities at Christmas and all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment