Nov 7, 2015

30 Days of Thankfulness - Day 7: Scent

Espresso!

Is there anything more heavenly than the scent of coffee?

Not for me!

Mom was an avid coffee drinker 'putting a pot on' first thing thing in the morning and keeping it going all day long. I don't know how many percolators she went through in her lifetime. She never wanted to try a drip unit. However, I did talk her into a one-cup Keurig system in her last few years as it didn't require being on her feet as long to get a cup.

My grandma always added cream and sugar to her coffee when she drank it which was usually reserved for special occasions only. Even though she and mom liked coffee, I didn't get on the caffeine-wagon at that time. That being said, I surely did think it smelled good while it was brewing-- even back then.

I was nearly 30 when I first acquired a genuine taste for the liquid gold, and then I would not discover my love of the rich and creamy espresso-based lattes for several years after that.


Photo by Deb Rohne. Copyright 2015. All rights reserved.
One of my favorite things to do now that I am a coffee snob is experience as many different coffeehouses as I can. I really should be writing a travel/coffeehouse review blog on all the places I have found and tried over the years. At one point, I had quite an extensive list of coffeehouse names. The Christian bookstore/coffeehouse pairing named Holy Grounds is one of the most clever names I have run across.

Nothing beats the aroma of the coffee brewing as you walk into one of those cozy establishments.

While atmosphere and the demeanor of the barista play important roles in the whole social experience, it really comes down to flavor. I am learning it's all in how the beans are roasted.

So very thankful for the scent of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment